The 36,009-ton, 600-passenger cruise ship Silver Spirit is an all-suite top luxury liner. It became Silversea fleet's largest boat after entering service as 6th vessel in 2009. Spirit is considerably bigger than the other vessels in the fleet. The ship's original (before the 2018 stretching) space-per-guest ratio (6700 ft3 per passenger) was one of the luxury ship travel industry's best. The ship often attracts younger clientele, including families with teenagers.
In the end of September 2017, the shipowner Silversea announced plans for the company's ever first ship lengthening project.
- MS Silver Spirit was stretched in 2018 by the Italian shipbuilding company Fincantieri at the Palermo shipyard (Sicily, Italy).
- During drydock 2018 (March 5 - May 1), the vessel was lengthened by inserting a prebuilt midsection (length 15 m / 49 ft). This made Silver Spirit the world's first stretched luxury cruise ship. The new section (hull and superstructure) added to the liner a total of 34 new cabins. During the drydock refit, the ship was also extensively refurbished and updated.
- The vessel's GT tonnage was increased from 36009 to 39,519 tons. Its crew capacity was increased from 376 to 412. The passenger capacity was increased from 540 to 608 (12%), dining capacity (15%), outdoor seating (20%).
- The refit project cost USD 70 million and involved over 500 workers, approx 450,000 man hours, 846 tons of steel, 360,892 ft (110 km) of new cables, 26,247 ft (8 km) of new pipes.
Cruise itinerary program
Silver Spirit itinerary program is based on “all inclusive luxury” voyages in Europe (Black Sea and Mediterranean from Venice, Barcelona, Athens/Piraeus, Istanbul) and in the Caribbean (with departures from Barbados and Fort Lauderdale). The ship also offers Transatlantic repositioning crossings.
Silver Spirit provides 270 suites (4 wheelchair-accessible) in 11 grades, all ocean-view, the largest of the fleet, 95% of them with private verandas. They range in size – from 312 to 1,668 sq.feet and each has a walk-in closet, safe, chest, spa robe and slippers. All cabins are completely wireless, with iPod station, hair dryer, alarm clock, binoculars, and even umbrella. Additional amenities in Owner’s, Silver, and Grand suites include two hours worldwide complimentary phone use, afternoon canapes, and dinner at officers’ table. A junior attendant and butler are assigned to each of the suites.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
The Silver Spirit ship has six completely different restaurants. The menu selections are not just creative, they are exquisitely presented, a real food art. The Grill’s menu hot rocks and La Terrazza new dinner robust menu are steps in future gourmet cuisine. As for Silver Spirit gratuity, all of these are included in fare, and nothing additional is expected.
Follows the complete list of Silver Spirit restaurants and food bars.
- The Restaurant (open-seating dining room with top-quality gourmet cuisine; features mostly Mediterranean themed meals, and always available standard menu with daily specials; all three meals are waiter-served and a la carte)
- Le Champagne (24-seat French cuisine specialty restaurant; offers signature dishes by Relais Chateaux; dinner-only; reservations-only)
- Seishin (24-seat Asian cuisine specialty restaurant, reservations required)
- La Terrazza (Terrace Cafe; complimentary buffet-style restaurant, offers both indoor seating and an alfresco terrace; wine is complimentary; there is also Afternoon Tea service; La Terrazza transforms each evening between 7:00 and 9:30 pm, into an Italian specialty restaurant, reservations-only, with a la carte menu)
- Pool Bar & Pool Grill (serve ship's pool deck area with fast food and drinks during the day; in the evening, the outdoor area becomes an al fresco dining venue with classic seafood and steakhouse choices, plus vegetarian and healthy selections)
- The Grill (offers gourmet dining under the stars with signature meals including lava-rocks grilled meat, seafood, Mediterranean vegetables, baked potatoes, salad of the day; wines are complimentary, except the premium ones from the Connoisseur’s Wine List; The Grill implements the line’s interactive dining concept “Black Rock Grill Experience”, which allows guests to cook their own meat and seafood).
- La Dame, Indochine, Atlantide and Seishin are four restaurants added during drydock 2018.
- Silver Note is a classy, dinner-only restaurant / supper club with a 5-course menu and live (baby grand piano, jazz and blues) music performances and dance floor. Dishes are served in small plates (tapas-style). Cusine is international, with seasonally themed food specialties. Silver Note restaurant is at fee, and dinner reservations are required. Dinners were waiter-served (between 8 – 10 pm). Here are also hosted dancing parties nightly.
- Spaccanapoli is an outdoor restaurant and an alternative casual dinner option for dining under the stars. During the day, Spaccanapoli Bar serves with fast food, drinks and refreshments the sundeck area.
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
New to Silver Spirit amenities are movies on demand and interactive TV service. Passengers can check messages, review accounts, or choose from 387 movies. The television sets are last word of technology – real “flat-screens”. Programming line-up includes CNN International, Fox News, ESPN and BBC World. Seven are the complimentary laundry rooms and soap is provided. Also available, but pricey, are laundry, dry cleaning, pressing service.
Traditional entertainment onboard the Silverseas Spirit ship is a little quieter than usual. Sure, there’s bingo, team trivia, golf competitions, an occasional movie, but most of the energetic entertainment takes place after dark with productions in Broadway style and fine live jazz in Stars Supper Club.
The Spirit’s stunning Spa includes an array of massages and body scrubs, and thermal ceramic-tiled suite offering heated lounge chairs. Even a Botox doctor is available onboard. The spa is located on Deck 6, spread out on 8,300-sq.foot, featuring a fitness center, beauty salon, nine treatment rooms, two steam rooms and two sauna rooms. The treatments include Private Hamman Experience – ancient Arabian scrub performed by therapist, “do-it-yourself” scrub bar glow, bamboo massage. The additional services include facials, tooth whitening, acupuncture, cellulite reduction, lime glows, milk wraps.
The fitness center is open from 6:00a.m. to 8:00p.m., but there is just one bike, three ellipticals, four treadmills – though all of them with TV screens. A few resistance machines and free weights are also available, but because of the tiny space, the two benches for free weight are so close together that you can’t work out with someone next to you – with more than five or six people in the room, it feels cramped. A Silver Spirit fitness trainer offers Pilates, stretching exercises, and yoga at no cost. For a nice jog, there’s Deck 10, where ten circuits equal one mile.
Additional amenities include: Launderettes (3), Medical center, complimentary 24-hour Room Service, Internet/WiFi Access.
Follows the complete list of Silver Spirit lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- The Casino has slot machines and gaming tables, and is served by its own Bar.
- Boutique shops offer duty-free shopping: luxury jewelry and watches, brand perfumes, fashion, designer handbags, photo/video accessories, Silversea logo merchandise, special occasion gifts, convenience goods.
- Arts Cafe is a multipurpose venue (with live performances) for gourmet coffees and teas aficionados.
- Dolce Vita is the ship's Atrum Bar lounge with live grand piano music performances, large dance floor, complimentary cocktails.
- Venetian Lounge / Show Lounge (320 seats) is the ship’s theater for live music and show productions. Daily enrichment program offers trivia games, dance classes, language lessons, lectures, media presentations.
- Conference Room hosts group meetings and conferences. It is adjacent to the Card Room (bridge playing lounge).
- The Swimming Pool is with saltwater, and heated during cool-weather voyages. The sunbathing area has teak chaise loungers, 3 whirlpools and tennis tables.
- Connoisseur’s Corner (fka Humidor) is the ship’s smoking / cigar lounge furnished with leather armchairs and selling brand cognacs, vintage wines, fine cigars.
- Panorama Lounge is served by its own bar and offers live music, dancing, Continental Breakfast and Afternoon Tea service.
- Observation Lounge provides 270-degree panoramic views and is fitted with a radar screen. Early breakfast with coffee service is also offered.
- The Library features audio listening stations and provides on-demand movies; Internet cafe
- Zagara Spa has treatment rooms, and offers premium spa treatments, including body wraps, massages and facials. Sauna and steam rooms, as well as Thermal Suite and Hydrotherapy pool are also available. In 2018 was added a new Health & Fitness Center.
- Beauty Salon (provides a full range of services: hairstyling, manicures, pedicures)
- Fitness Centre (offers a treadmill, stationary bike, weight machine, elliptical trainer)
- Power Walking/Jogging Track, Golf Cage, paddle tennis, golf putting green.